OPEN TO ART
Ceramic Art and Design Award
Competition form on: www.officinesaffi.com
Milan, March 2018
The subscriptions for the third edition of Open to Art, Ceramic art and Design Award are open from 31 March 2018.
Open to Art, is promoted and organized by Officine Saffi with the aim of enhancing and promoting the use of ceramics in contemporary art and design.
Open to Art is open to all contemporary artists of any nationality, individuals or groups. There are no age limitations and no thematic constraint. Works can be made in any ceramic technique. Works that include other materials are accepted as long as clay is the principal material used. The competition is divided in two sections: Art and Design. The complete Terms and Condition form will be available on www.officinesaffi.com. Subscription will be open until 21 September 2018.
An international jury will evaluate the works received according to the different criteria depending on the section. For the Art section, basic criteria will be technical quality, originality and conceptual research. The Design section has as fundamental criteria as well as technical quality and originality also functionality and reproducibility. Jurors involved are:
- Felicity Aylieff, artist, head of programme RCA
- Laura Borghi, Officine Saffi
- Flaminio Gualdoni, journalist, art critic and professor at the Academy of Fine Arts
- Tom Morris, editor and consultant specialized in design, interiors and architecture
- Isabelle Naef Galuba, director of Museo Ariana
- Elisa Ossino, architect, stylist
- Ranti Tjan, EKWC director
- Matteo Zauli, curator, director of Museo Carlo Zauli
The winner works will become part of the Officine Saffi collection. All selected works will be exhibited in the gallery. First prize for the Art Ceramic category will be € 5.000*, first prize for Design Ceramic category will be € 5.000*
Over the two category prizes there will be 5 other collateral awards that will be given to the selected artists by many important national and international realities: **
• Artist's residency at Sundaymorning@ekwc in The Netherlands
• Artist's residency during the International Ceramic Art Festival in Sasama, Japan
• Artist's residency at Amfora in Seinäjoki, Finland
• Artist's residency at the International Ceramic Research Center Guldagergaard, Denmark
• Production Prize at Museo Carlo Zauli, Faenza
• Artist residency at Carlo Zauli Museum, Faenza
• Artist residency and exhibition at Ceramic Museum of Mondovì
• The Cover award will include a publication on Fragile magazine
• The Article award will offer an article published on Fragile magazine.
** further prizes are being defined and will be announced shortly
Japanese residency will be held during the International Ceramic Art Festival in Sasama, Shizuoka. The residence in Finland will take place in the city of Seinäjoki, sponsor of the initiative. The city, famous for its prestigious administrative and cultural center designed by Alvar Aalto, will host the winning artist who will be selected in collaboration with the company Amfora. The Danish two-month residence will take place at the International Ceramic Research Center Guldagergaard in Denmark. The residency at Museo della ceramica di Mondovì will last 3/4 weeks and will take place in the ceramic workshop of the museum. The award includes a final exhibition of the works realized during the residency.
The Carlo Zauli Museum will offer a Production Prize of a limited-edition ceramic object that will be a dialogue between art and design. It will be realized in the laboratories that belonged to the famous Faenza artist.
* As per law, a 25% withholding tax will be charged on all the money prizes.
All the works admitted to the second level of selection will be exhibited in a show at Officine Saffi in March 2019. The winners will be announced on the occasion of the opening of the exhibition.
Officine Saffi was founded in 2011 with the aim of promoting contemporary ceramics.
The gallery is mainly focused on highlighting young and contemporary artists from all over the world but also 20th century masters. Alongside the gallery, the laboratory runs workshops, talks, lectures, in addition to the artists in residencies programs and the biennial award Open to Art dedicated to contemporary ceramics and design.
Competition: Ceramic Art and Design Award
Opening subscription: 31 March 2018
Deadline: 21 September 2018
Award ceremony and exhibition opening: March 2019
Office: Officine Saffi, Via Aurelio Saffi 7, 20123 Milan.
Tel: +39 02 36 68 56 96